Sep 24, 2013

Street Artist Run-in: EVER

Nicolas Santiago Romero, better known with the name “EVER,” adopted a huge, bare concrete wall erected in the corner of 3rd street and I St NW. For the past two weeks, EVER has been painting the wall and occupying the giant empty parking lot as part of The Mural Project DC. Last Wednesday evening, his public studio turned into an appropriate venue for a lively pop-up party, where spectators watched and celebrated as EVER put finishing touches to his beautiful, mysterious piece of art.


The street artist, originally from Argentina, said that his main inspirations come from two main sources: French philosopher named Michel Foucault and famous Dutch artist Vincent Van Gogh. Foucault’s work focused on the relationship between power and knowledge as a way of controlling the society. 

“The big legs represent power. You don’t know whom the legs belong to because I purposely didn’t put a face on it. And the surrounding environment -- the forest -- represents society,” Ever said, explaining his mural piece by piece.



The face coming out of the water signifies connection between society and an invisible figure of power. To its right, you can identify a face of a beautiful woman, which EVER intended to represent beauty of life.

“It’s the contradiction of life. I try to put everything in metaphorical way. I also want people to take their own interpretation; you could look at the wall and see something different than I do. It can be anything,” continued the artist, as he took a step back to admire his artwork again.


EVER comes from a graffiti background. Although he has been trying to steer away from being boxed in as a graffiti artist, there is something within him that keeps driving him back to his graffiti routes -- and that struggle is visible in his work. Now, he tries to incorporate more of artists’ brush, acrylic, and oil paint.
 
“I often use bright colors and strong brush strokes, which were inspired by Van Gogh’s work. I used to have vision problems as a child, so I had a deeper connection with Gogh’s work,” EVER explained, “when you see my work, you sometimes have to play with your mind a little bit to figure out what it is.”


EVER’s vision behind his artwork is simple and benign: “I don’t sign the murals anymore after I paint it,” EVER said, “whenever I finish a wall, it doesn’t belong to me anymore. It could belong to you, or to anyone else.”

When asked about the name of his mural, he smiled and proudly said that he doesn’t name his artwork until after it’s finished. For him, the last finishing step is always giving his piece of art a name.

After interviewing him, I stuck around for a bit, just watching the artist and his partner/assistant wrap up for the night.



No comments:

Post a Comment