Aug 11, 2014

five things: Monday inspirations

I love starting Mondays with finding inspirational things around the net. Here are a few things that boosted the beginning of my week, including incredible photo finds on Flickr, articles shared by friends, and other stuff you're lucky enough to run into around the web:

1) A glimpse into life in South Korea shared by Flickr user Eric Youn, whose photos I found while navigating through the Minolta X-700 group. I was mesmerized by some of these incredible shots that bring out the best in Minolta and capture personal moments and some Korean culture. It's been exactly 10 years since I left Korea for good, and I haven't back since. I can't help but always wonder how it's changed, how it's the same, and how I can go back somehow someday. Scattered Boots Joyful Company In Remembrance of Sewol Hillside View

2) Coffee for thought: a story of the transforming coffee culture in India

3) This incredibly moving piece shared by a friend this morning - about using soccer as a metaphor during the WWI era.

"It’s a way to hide the horror under one layer of spectacle and another layer of moral virtue — a way to pretend that war is like a game, that there are rules, that there is safety."

4) Ever heard of six-man football? Apparently it was developed in the 30's for smaller high schools in rural towns because they were too small even for eleven-on-eleven. Six-man football enables the these towns - towns with a population of less than 1,000 - to compete in top-level competition and experience the glory of "State." In this little documentary beautifully shot by Victory Journal, two tiny Texas football towns make it to the top - giving the 16-17 year olds a chance to be the towns' heroes.

Texas Six from Victory Journal on Vimeo.

5) A guest post on Wit and Delight about PEACH GALETTES totally captured my heart this past weekend. I've been crazy about anything peach-related, especially peach pies, but I've been dying to attempt to make some peach galettes before peach season is over. I promise myself I will make this sometime before August is ovah. Please keep me accountable, mom. (Probably the only person who reads my blog) Photo by Sarah Kieffer of Vanilla Bean Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment